Friday, May 7, 2010

Beyond Frustration...

So I'm applying online for some MA jobs, of course, because I went to school for it therefore, thats what I should be doing with my life. BUT NO. I am merely a peon "bakery clerk" and your local over priced grocery store. Since January, I have been on about 4 interviews as an MA. All of them went particularly well, or so I thought. One of them stood out however.

I got to the medical plaza where the interview was, and waiting in the waiting area. There was someone already interviewing. I thought, "Oh great, competition." Silly me, thinking as if I'm the only one they would interview in one day. When it was my turn, the interview went ok, up until she asked me if I was bilingual. To which I replied, no. "Ooohhh....well the position is mandatory bilingual. Sorry, thanks for comin' down." WHAT? So now I HAVE to be bilingual to get a job in the medical field? What the hell is that? I've said it once, and I'll say it again. THIS IS AMERICA!! Now, why in the sam hell would I accommodate someone that is here in the gold ol USA, and doesn't speak english? If i were to go to China, would they speak engrish to me? (Yes, engrish) NO! They would expect me to speak chinese! So if they (whether 'they' be of hispanic decent, asian, french, portuguese, or what have u) are going to live here in the United States, they need to speak the national language. That being ENGLISH.

So for an employer to make it MANDATORY that someone speak spanish IN ORDER to just apply, is complete and utter nonsense. And I find it very unfair that I, myself being of hispanic decent, am losing out on opportunities for a job. Because in most situations, someone that speaks Spanish will definitely get hired over me. This I find very unacceptable.

And that, in essence, is why I THINK I am having such a hard time finding a job in the medical field.

1 comment:

  1. Total BS! I can't believe that, isn't it discriminatory? & if this new bill does what it has set out to do, then there will b far less Hispanic speaking illegals in AZ anyways!

    ReplyDelete